Monday, March 16, 2015

The Introduction

   For as long as I can remember, my mother was a poor cook (Sorry mom, but you know this is true). Now I'm not saying this to hurt her feelings, she was young and probably was not armed with the tools to be successful. I thank her for this, because it has made me want to become the best cook I can be.
   I've been cooking since I was about 16 or so. I didn't start off whipping up amazing homemade meals. I started small, Ramen Noodles and Burtoli frozen meals. But once I moved out of the house at 18 I had the confidence to open up a cookbook and follow through with two recipes and make a meal. It was fried chicken and macaroni and cheese.
   I tell you all of this, this shortened down story of how I came to cook the way I do, to show you that it doesn't matter what level of a cook you are, you can make just about anything. Just read the recipe more that once, set our your ingredients, take a deep breath and begin. Have fun, get a little messy. I mean we're at home here. No one is going to fire you if you burn something. Just learn from the mistake and correct it. You'll get there.
   The other part of why I explained to you my background is to say that just because you are working full time, or have three kids, doesn't mean dinner has to come out of the microwave or a bag of half frozen sauce. You can make "homemade", "from scratch" meals every night. Most of the recipes I will post on here are simple and easy. Just like most of them are healthy. Some are definitely not. And that's OK as long as you acknowledge that and know that tomorrow you should take the stairs instead of the elevator.

   I'm not a professional and I'm not trying to be. I have worked in several restaurants and I have even worked as a cook. Like most of the people out there however, I'm just getting off of work, coming home and cooking for my family. I just really love it. What I want most out of all of this is for those who read this blog to cook something delicious, and have a little fun in kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment